Maro is a small village at the far eastern end of the Axarquía almost joining on to the much larger town of Nerja. In fact the Caves of Nerja are just outside Maro. When driving through the village and down towards the shore the most significant building is The Mill at Maro which is now sadly in a ruinous state but the powerful buttress still underpins the building at the side of the ravine as it looms majestically out towards the sea almost daring pirates to land on the beach below. It is quite remarkable in its structure built from travertine stone that has stood the test of time. Originally built in 1585, the factory was still working until a fire put an end to its useful life in the 1860s. Felipe de Armengol constructed the first sugar device in the area after deciding to cultivate sugar cane and a road was opened between Maro and Granada across the Sierra de Almijara Mountains.
The San Joaquin Sugar Mill which was built in 1884 is located between Nerja and Maro on the old coast road and although now derelict is still an awesome sight. As is the nearby Aqueduct of El Aguila which is currently being renovated and sits beneath an enormous net. It has 37 round arches on four floors.
Once in the small village of Maro you will find the eclectic style Church of Nuestra Señora de las Maravillas which is believed to have been built on a previous structure and finished by the end of the 17th century. Its single nave with a wooden beamed ceiling was restored in 1887. The tower has a pyramidal steeple with a small belfry in front. Once outside this lovely church, there is a bar where you can rest and recuperate before visiting the most famous site of the area, the subterranean Caves of Nerja which were discovered by five boys on 12th of January 1959. The caves have become a huge tourist attraction with more than 15 million visitors who have not only come to admire the caves but also to watch ballet and opera during the International Festival of Music and Dance. The president of the Fundación Cueva de Nerja, Hilario López, received the Tenth Mediterranean Culture Award in commemoration of its 50th anniversary.